Thursday, April 2, 2009

David Kennard

http://developingoutreach.blogspot.com/


Addison Roberts
CRL 233 Developing Outreach and Discipleship Programs
Instructor Gerry Stoltzfoos
4/02/2009


When I think about small group ministry, I think of a group meeting in a house and discussing Bible passages relating to the theme of the small group. Honestly I have never really viewed that as very exciting except for in a couple special cases. David expanded my definition. He said that his small groups are basically groups that just do things together. For example, a group of men would play tennis together every Wednesday. The main purpose at the group in the beginning is to have a fun time doing something you love. But there is an underlying motive behind it all. There is an intentional purpose in that the gospel will definitely be brought up in conversation at some point by one of the facilitators of the small group. Basically, spirituality is not a must every time. The leaders build relationship and then move to the important stuff. This seems like a cool idea and I may implement this model some day when I am helping to run a church. I never really viewed small groups as evangelical in nature and always viewed them as a discipleship tool. David's model allows for both and I think that is a great thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment